Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Whole Day Off

Today I got to enjoy my first day off in almost two weeks (thirteen days to be exact), and I enjoyed it to the fullest. I slept in a little, but got up in time to catch good early morning light for picture taking. I set out without any ideas or direction, just the camera in hand. This island really is easy for taking pictures though and I snapped a few good shots over the hour or so that I wandered around. All the birds are full of energy in the cooler morning hours and it is fun to watch all of the behaviors and social interactions going on. Lots of chicks popping up all over the place too. Tern chicks, booby babies, tropicbird fuzzballs and tough looking little frigatebirds. The frigates might be my favorite. They are so full of attitude! The one in the picture above just looks tough, even though he's pint sized. A feisty attitude will serve him well since he'll make his adult living by stealing food from his neighbors!
Of course, the Laysan Albatross chicks are really my favorite. Even though they are looking kind of disheveled these days, molting into their real feathers.

No comments: