Friday, May 30, 2008

National Geographic Day

In all of my years of doing fieldwork I've been really fortunate to see some amazing things. Some days though are just extra special, and today I was lucky enough to have one of those days. I started out watching a frigatebird snatch up a sooty tern chick and fly off, only to be attacked in mid-air by seven more frigatebirds. The photos of the mid-air tug of war are pretty cool! In the afternoon we went snorkeling around La Perouse Pinnacle, a 150 ft. tall rock jutting up from the atoll several miles away. I saw tons of sharks, had a green sea turtle swim within three feet, was swarmed by schools of reef fish and I ended the dive watching a spotted ray glide under me! To end the day, I wandered the island with my camera and came upon two monk seals having a heated discussion of growls, burps and belches. Usually they are kinda boring to watch bacause they just lay on the beach and sleep, but these two gave me quite a show.

No comments: