Monday, May 19, 2008

Tern Island Bound

I left Portland a few days ago, headed for Tern Island in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. I was lucky enough to hitch a ride out on the NOAA ship Oscar Sette. The ride was smooth and the folks on board, heading out to the other islands, were fun to interact with. It took us two days to get out here and now I'm on the island and getting to work. I'll be here for about two weeks to help band albatross chicks before they fledge. There are about 3,000 of them that need to get banded over the next few weeks, so we have our work cut out for us. Tern is amazing from a wildilfe perspective with birds covering most of the island and green sea turtles and monk seals lining the beaches. The most numerous and vocal residents are the sooty terns. They are practically everywhere and they are loud, day and night. Although some folks could take them or leave them I think they are wonderful!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - your blog title caught my eye...I live on St Helena island where the Fairy Terns are abundant, noisy and beautiful. Sadly, no turtles here - nearest colony is on Ascension Island to the north! Happy wanderings, from a fellow blogger.