Sunday, November 9, 2008

SSCXWC

Wow, what a wild day! Today was the second annual Single Speed Cyclocross World Championships (SSCXWC) here in Portland and it was a blast. The day started off with the regualr suite of cyclocross races on the Cross Crusade calender. I rode in the morning and was having a great race (7th out of 160+) until I managed to tear my derailieur right off the bike and got it wedged into the back wheel. Fortunately there was someone right there who saw it all and handed me a beer immediately. Perfect! And that was the end of my race. Fortunately the later race were really entertaining, especially the SSCXWC. Almost every contestant in the singlespeed race was dressed in a costume, and some were dressed in barely anything at all. The highlight of the race was the "wall of bubbles" that the riders had to ride through on each lap (below).

No comments: