Saturday, March 10, 2007

Leaving Alaska


With heavy hearts but excitement for our future, Camille and I said goodbye to Alaska last week. Dustin and Cecille gave us a nice send-off party at their house. I said goodbye to some of my closest friends that night but I know I'll be seeing a lot of them either on visits to Alaska or down in Portland. We had an epic journey getting out of Alaska and down to our new home. After driving 750 miles from Anchorage, heading for the town of Haines (where we were suppossed to get on the Alaska ferry to Washington), we were stopped 40 miles short of our goal by a blizzard that shut down the highway. So, instead of a nice relaxing four day cruise on the ferry, Camille and I drove 2,200 miles down the Alaska Highway to get to Portland. The drive through the Yukon and B.C. was beautiful but extremely tiring. Both Camille and I were driving our own trucks with a cat on our lap. Fortunately Dustin let us borrow walkie-talkies for the trip and that saved us!! I am glad we did it because I have always wanted to drive the highway, and the hot springs at Laird River, right on the B.C. /Yukon Border made the whole trip worth it!

No comments: